PMBEJD in the print media – influencing public discourse and building power for structural change
- 30 November 2020: All4Women, No relief for hungry households: Festive season food prices continue to rise.
- 26 November 2020: Business Tech, Food prices are climbing again in South Africa – here’s how much an average food basket costs.
- 26 November 2020: The Mercury, Consumers will pay more for groceries this festive season.
- 26 November 2020: The Witness, Basic food basket costs R161 more.
- 23 October 2020: Diamond Fields Advertiser, Major concern as Northern Cape residents struggle to feed themselves.
- 21 October 2020: The Citizen, ‘Stopping grant top-ups now is madness’ says NGO.
- 20 October 2020: City Press, Food prices continue to soar, putting millions at risk.
- 18 October 2020: Business Tech, Food prices in Joburg vs Cape Town vs Durban.
- 19 October 2020: Daily Maverick, Activists protest against growing hunger in a land of plenty.
- 17 October 2020: Saturday Star, Millions of South Africans are forced to rely on government assistance to avert starvation.
- 16 October 2020: The Mercury, Poor left behind as food prices soar.
- 16 October 2020: The Witness, Families hard hit as food basket becomes unaffordable.
- 4 October 2020: Sunday Times, Keep grants in place as food crisis deepens, government urged.
- 2 October 2020: The Mercury, Major concern as people struggle to feed themselves.
- 30 September 2020: All4Women, Grocery bills have shot up – Here’s how much MORE we’re paying + why it’s putting our health at risk.
- 30 September 2020: All4Women, Family meals & finances – How skyrocketing grocery prices are affecting our kids’ nutrition.
- 29 September 2020: Business Tech, Here’s how many domestic workers lost their jobs during lockdown.
- 21 September 2020: The Witness, Survey finds that 55% of South Africans need debt assistance.
- 21 September 2020: Business Tech, New data shows how much money domestic workers earn in South Africa.
- 7 September 2020: Grocotts Mail, The real increase in food prices is shocking.
- 7 September 2020: Daily News, Covid-19 increasing income related poor health by six times new research finds.
- 28 August 2020: The Times, ‘You pick up 10kg flour and you weigh it in your hands and in your heart.’
- 27 August 2020: Business Tech, Food prices are climbing again in South Africa – much sooner than anticipated.
- 27 August 2020: All4Women, Grocery bills have skyrocketed – But we’re paying the price for buying cheaper too: here’s why.
- 27 August 2020: The Mercury, Food, fuel, funeral prices soar.
- 26 August 2020: The Times, Poor households hit hard by a worrying rise in basic food prices.
- 26 August 2020: Daily News, It’s official. The price of food has gone up since lockdown began.
- 26 August 2020: All4Women, Our grocery bills just went up – AGAIN.
- 24 August 2020: New Frame, SA companies cash in on Covid-19.
- 14 August 2020: The Daily News, Cost of living for the poor goes up.
- 3 August 2020: New Frame, Long Read | Fully loaded taxis are a Covid timebomb.
- 2 August 2020: Sunday Times, Basic Income Grant.
- 31 July 2020: The Sowetan, Food prices wreak havoc with poor.
- 31 July 2020: The Conversation, South Africa needs better food price controls to shield poor people from COVID-19 fallout.
- 30 July 2020: The Times, SA’s poor hit hard as basic food prices escalate 11.6% in a year.
- 22 July 2020: The Citizen, Basic income grant shouldn’t go towards food only, says researchers.
- 16 July 2020: Farmers Weekly, Gap between farm and retail prices ‘warrant investigation.’
- 15 July 2020: Daily Maverick, Many mothers going hungry for the sake of their children, new data shows.
- 10 July 2020: The Citizen, Hunger and lack of food access more acute under Covid-19.
- 7 July 2020: The Mercury, Survey shows Covid-19 hiked food prices – but things are stabilising.
- 4 July 2020: The Citizen, South Africans worried about food price increases during Covid-19 pandemic – survey.
- 2 July 2020: The Daily News, Santaco taxi fare hikes a bitter pill for struggling commuters.
- 27 June 2020: Business Tech, Here’s how much the average price for a household food basket has increased in South Africa.
- 27 June 2020: City Press, Transport and power hikes strike the poor.
- 25 June 2020: The Witness, Mboweni comes up empty.
- 18 June 2020: All4Women, Tighten your belts: We could be paying as much as 30% more for food thanks to lockdown.
- 16 June 2020: The Citizen, Food prices up by as much as 30%, and things are only getting worse.
- 2 June 2020: Daily Maverick, Why are South Africans hungry when there’s surplus food?
- 31 May 2020: City Press, Business booms for loan sharks.
- 28 May 2020: Retail Brief Africa, Food prices increase for low-income families.
- 28 May 2020: Times Select, Struggling SA women do deals with the devil to put food on the table.
- 28 May 2020: The Witness, Food costs rocket in lockdown.
- 27 May 2020: Business Tech, Food prices in South Africa have spiked – particularly these items.
- 27 May 2020: The Mercury, Battle to feed families as food prices soar, consumption rises during lockdown.
- 27 May 2020: Daily News, 7.8% rise in food prices leaves sour taste.
- 27 May 2020: IOL Business Report, Price of food for low income families increases.
- 27 May 2020: Centurion Rekord, Covid-19: Low-income households turn to loan sharks to fight hunger.
- 26 May 2020: GroundUp, Low-income families are spending more on food since March, says report.
- 23 May 2020: Cape Argus, Covid-19 hits South Africa in the pockets.
- 23 May 2020: Business Tech, Here’s how the average price for a household food basket has increased in South Africa.
- 22 May 2020: Food for Mzansi, Hunger epidemic: The choice between safety and food.
- 14 May 2020: Daily Maverick, Hunger crisis: Getting food to the needy.
- 14 May 2020: New Frame, Social grants and food aid provide scant relief.
- 10 May 2020: Sunday Times, Government, NGOs at odds over distribution of food parcels.
- 10 May 2020: Sunday Times, ‘They can’t survive if I die’: Stalwart gogos fear for their families.
- 6 May 2020: Daily Maverick, KwaZulu–Natal hit by exorbitant price increases for basic food items.
- 6 May 2020: Times live, Fear and hunger: 7 million set to rush retailers for child grants.
- 5 May 2020: The Witness, Pietermaritzburg Pensioners Forum, Sassa snarl-up misery
- 29 April 2020: The Mercury, Concern as food prices spiral out of reach for many families.
- 29 April 2020: The Witness, Shock at increase in cost of food basket.
- 29 April 2020: IOL Business Report, Women from low-income families forced to wait in long queues outside supermarkets.
- 29 April 2020: Daily News, Women battle to support their families as food prices soar amid coronavirus pandemic.
- 28 April 2020: City Press, Food prices skyrocket. Justice group slams economic policy.
- 28 April 2020: Daily Dispatch, Anger stews as South African women go hungry to keep their families fed.
- 24 April 2020: Daily News, Stats-SA undertakes survey to see how Covid-19 has affected South African.
- 23 April 2020: City Press, Food security and lockdown: Is enough being done?
- 23 April 2020: Mail & Guardian, Pietermaritzburg Pensioners Forum, Hunger is as big a threat as Covid.
- 22 April 2020: New Frame, KwaZulu-Natal’s elderly go hungry.
- 19 April 2020: Sunday Times, Covid-19 lockdown: millions hungry as work dries up.
- 17 April 2020: Isolezwe, ‘Indlala izobulala abantu ngaphambi kweCorona.’
- 16 April 2020: The Mercury, Pensioners appeal for a better grant deal as lockdown worsens their plight.
- 15 April 2020: The Mail & Guardian, South Africa’s invisible majority: Women feeding hungry families
- 15 April 2020: The Mercury, Relief as Reserve Bank slashes the repo rate.
- 14 April 2020: City Press, Lockdown regulations financially devastating for small vendors.
- 4 April 2020: Saturday Star, Covid-19 hitting the poor the hardest.
- 2 April 2020: The Mercury, Supermarkets hiked food by 10% ahead of lockdown regulations.
- 1 April 2020: PLAAS, Food in the time of the coronavirus: Why we should be very, very afraid.
- 1 April 2020: Children’s Institute, University of Cape Town, Letter from the Children’s Institute to the President calling for a R500 increase in the monthly Child Support Grant.
- 1 April 2020: Children’s Institute, University of Cape Town, Covid-19 info brief: Social grant increases are an immediate and feasible route to protecting children and their families.
- 26 February 2020: New Frame, Minimum wage to increase by just 76 cents.
- 26 February 2020: The Witness, Increase pension grants: grants boost real economy.
- 24 February 2020: Daily News, R20 minimum wage increase is not enough.
- 20 February 2020: The Mercury, 1% VAT hike would have ripple effect – economists.
- 18 February: The Witness, Put the money in their hands.
- 18 February 2020: Business Tech, New salaries for domestic workers after the national minimum wage increase.
- 11 February 2020: 2 Oceans Vibe News, Let’s Talk About How Much You Should Pay Your Domestic Worker This Year.
- 10 February 2020: Business Tech, How much you should be paying your domestic worker in 2020.
- 5 February 2020: IOL, Middle income earners feeling the pinch of inflation.
- 31 January 2020: Isolezwe, Kunzima kubantu abahola kancane.
- 30 January 2020: Business Tech, South African households are getting poorer, while the cost of living continues to rise.
- 30 January 2020: MSN Money, Household food basket price increases.
- 29 January 2020: IOL Business Report, Unions say 5% wage offer will make workers poorer.
- 27 January 2020: New Frame, Workers want one minimum wage for all.
- 20 December 2019: Daily maverick, Sky-high price of SA cellular services has life-threatening consequences.
- 19 December 2019: Business Tech, The big problem with the National Minimum Wage – one year later.
- 13 December 2019: Grocotts Mail, One Wage Campaign stands out against wage discrimination.
- 10 December 2019: Health E News, A quarter of SA children’s hospital deaths linked to severe malnutrition.
- 3 December 2019: Cape Times, Workers’ rights organisations call for equality for all on minimum wage.
- 28 November 2019: Cape Times, Call for higher national minimum wage.
- 22 November 2019: The Citizen, Reserve Bank ‘could have helped consumers’.
- 28 October 2019: WITS, South Africa still has a long way to go on the right to food.
- 25 October 2019: The Witness, Crisis Deepens – 56% living on less than R41 a day.
- 26 October 2019: The Citizen, Food costs stunt children, bind them to poverty – Economic Justice and Dignity.
- 24 October 2019: Post, Too poor to put food on the table.
- 22 October 2019: SAFCEI blog, FOOD INEQUALITY IN SOUTH AFRICA.
- 22 October 2019: News 24, Child support grant: ‘We sometimes go to bed on an empty stomach’.
- 16 October 2019: Health E-News, World Food Day: The struggle to survive on a child support grant.
- 14 October 2019: Citizen, SA’s social grants under threat.
- 14 October 2019: Vryheid Herald, A new Index shows a shocking number of South Africans live below the poverty line.
- 11 October 2019: The North Coast Courier, A new Index shows a shocking number of South Africans live below the poverty line.
- 8 October 2019: Business Tech, More than half of South Africans are living on less than R41 a day.
- 2 October 2019: Business Tech, Here’s how much more you’re paying for food in South Africa compared to a year ago.
- 2 October 2019: Food, Money, Shops & Retail, South Africa, One Year Later, Here’s How Much More You’re Paying For Groceries.
- 11 September 2019: Mercury, Inflation continues to bite as food prices ease.
- 1 August 2019: Business Tech, This is how much money the poorest are living on each month in South Africa.
- 12 August 2019: Witness, More job losses loom in Pietermaritzburg.
- 23 August 2019: Lifestyle – Money, Well Done, You’re In South Africa’s Richest 10% – Here’s What You Need To Join The Top 1%.
- 29 August 2019: Citizen, Poor households now squeezed for survival.
- 29 August 2019: The World News, Poor households now squeezed for survival.
- 29 August 2019: George Herald, Poor households now squeezed for survival.
- 31 July 2019: Business Tech, 34,000 domestic workers lost their jobs in 2019 so far.
- 8 July 2019: Mercury, Rising prices bring consumers to their knees.
- 2 July 2019: SABC News online, Organisation calls for role of Reserve Bank to be scrutinised.
- 18 June 2019: Business Tech, 4 things killing your wallet in South Africa right now.
- 18 April 2019: The Citizen, Mboweni’s cake flour zero-VAT plan backfires on the poor.
- 17 April 2019: Business Day, Zero-rating VAT plan is completely inadequate, civil society group says.
- 6 April 2019: The Mercury, Durban residents petition to stop tariff increases.
- 4 April 2019: The Mercury, Eskom’s latest hike will ‘wipe out’ R80 grant increase.
- 1 April 2019: Health-E News, #FreeToBleed, Zero-rating and free pads to start in South Africa.
- 12 March 2019: The Mercury, How Eskom’s electricity hike will affect pensioners.
- 21 February 2019: The Witness, Downward Spiral Continues.
- 21 February 2019: Martizburg Sun, City grannies want December bonuses.
- 21 February 2019: The Mercury, #Budget2019: Motorists will be hit hardest from Budget Speech.
- 21 February 2019: The Mercury, #Budget2019: ‘We can’t survive on paltry R80 increase’.
- 7 February 2019: Mail & Guardian, Mr President, the old-age pension is an investment, not a burden.
- 6 February 2019: Times Live, Pensioners: Dear Mr President, we want a 13th cheque.
- 4 February 2019: Business Day, Minimum wage exemptions will leave workers worse off than before, NGO says.
- 10 December 2018: The Witness, Wage hike for domestics ‘still too low’.
- 18 November 2018: City Press, Pensioners demand 13th cheque.
- 12 November 2018: The Witness, The ACTUAL cost of living.
- 9 November 2018: Isolezwe Abadala bafuna ukuholelwa ibhonasi ngoDesemba.
- 2 November 2018: The Mercury, Could electricity price hikes lead to meter tampering?
- 1 November 2018: ENCA, Pensioners demand increase to deal with high cost of living.
- 1 November 2018: The Mercury, LOOK: Pensioners ask Parliament committee for grant increase.
- 1 November 2018: Cape Times, KZN Pensioners address Parliament over pay-outs.
- 31 October 2018: The Witness, Gogos call for better pension.
- 25 October 2018: Power FM MTBPS, Gogos want Christmas bonus from Tito Mboweni.
- 25 October 2018: The Star Late Edition, VAT Scrapped on Essentials: Mboweni announces zero-rating on sanitary towels, cake flour and bread flour from April.
- 24 October 2018: The Post, Too poor to put food on the table.
- 18 October 2018: The Mercury, Food prices on the rise.
- 17 October 2018: Maritzburg Sun, ‘Line between hunger and anger growing thinner’.
- 16 October 2018: Moneyweb, World Food Day, Outlook for food security has not improved.
- 16 October 2018: IOL News, Government urged to avert crisis as poverty levels ‘accelerate’.
- 4 October 2018: Daily News, How latest #FuelHike will hit the poor.
- 21 September 2018: DGMT, Why we need big business to make bold moves and get behind this simple super food.
- 13 September 2018: Daily Maverick, Zero-rating foods, petrol price hikes supercharge a debate day.
- 12 September 2018: Business Day, Lobby groups and NGOs try to convince Parliament to zero rate chicken.
- 12 September 2018: Fin24, VAT: Give us the chicken, organization appeal to Parliament.
- 12 September 2018: Fin24, 7 things treasury, parliament must consider as they expand the list of zero-vat items.
- 3 September 2018: Daily Maverick (By Health-e News), Thousands go hungry after mismanagement of food relief.
- 2 September 2018: City Press, Editorial: Food wars begin.
- 13 August 2018: Business Live, Food crisis is much bigger than simply tinkering with zero-rating VAT.
- 13 August 2018: Times Live, VAT zero-rating not the best way to help the poor‚ warn experts.
- 12 August 2018: Inter Press News Agency, How the Lack of Affordable Vegetables is Creating a Billion-Dollar Obesity Epidemic in South Africa.
- 15 July 2018: City Press, Brace for more pain: Price increases push poor to cut back on food purchases.
- 7 July 2018: IOL, ‘It’s Cyril to the rescue’.