PMBEJD in the print media – influencing public discourse and building power for structural change
- 26 February 2020: New Frame, Minimum wage to increase by just 76 cents.
- 26 February 2020: The Witness, Increase pension grants: grants boost real economy.
- 24 February 2020: Daily News, R20 minimum wage increase is not enough.
- 20 February 2020: The Mercury, 1% VAT hike would have ripple effect – economists.
- 18 February: The Witness, Put the money in their hands.
- 18 February 2020: Business Tech, New salaries for domestic workers after the national minimum wage increase.
- 11 February 2020: 2 Oceans Vibe News, Let’s Talk About How Much You Should Pay Your Domestic Worker This Year.
- 10 February 2020: Business Tech, How much you should be paying your domestic worker in 2020.
- 5 February 2020: IOL, Middle income earners feeling the pinch of inflation.
- 31 January 2020: Isolezwe, Kunzima kubantu abahola kancane.
- 30 January 2020: Business Tech, South African households are getting poorer, while the cost of living continues to rise.
- 30 January 2020: MSN Money, Household food basket price increases.
- 29 January 2020: IOL Business Report, Unions say 5% wage offer will make workers poorer.
- 27 January 2020: New Frame, Workers want one minimum wage for all.
- 20 December 2019: Daily maverick, Sky-high price of SA cellular services has life-threatening consequences.
- 19 December 2019: Business Tech, The big problem with the National Minimum Wage – one year later.
- 13 December 2019: Grocotts Mail, One Wage Campaign stands out against wage discrimination.
- 10 December 2019: Health E News, A quarter of SA children’s hospital deaths linked to severe malnutrition.
- 3 December 2019: Cape Times, Workers’ rights organisations call for equality for all on minimum wage.
- 28 November 2019: Cape Times, Call for higher national minimum wage.
- 22 November 2019: The Citizen, Reserve Bank ‘could have helped consumers’.
- 28 October 2019: WITS, South Africa still has a long way to go on the right to food.
- 25 October 2019: The Witness, Crisis Deepens – 56% living on less than R41 a day.
- 26 October 2019: The Citizen, Food costs stunt children, bind them to poverty – Economic Justice and Dignity.
- 24 October 2019: Post, Too poor to put food on the table.
- 22 October 2019: SAFCEI blog, FOOD INEQUALITY IN SOUTH AFRICA.
- 22 October 2019: News 24, Child support grant: ‘We sometimes go to bed on an empty stomach’.
- 16 October 2019: Health E-News, World Food Day: The struggle to survive on a child support grant.
- 14 October 2019: Citizen, SA’s social grants under threat.
- 14 October 2019: Vryheid Herald, A new Index shows a shocking number of South Africans live below the poverty line.
- 11 October 2019: The North Coast Courier, A new Index shows a shocking number of South Africans live below the poverty line.
- 8 October 2019: Business Tech, More than half of South Africans are living on less than R41 a day.
- 2 October 2019: Business Tech, Here’s how much more you’re paying for food in South Africa compared to a year ago.
- 2 October 2019: Food, Money, Shops & Retail, South Africa, One Year Later, Here’s How Much More You’re Paying For Groceries.
- 11 September 2019: Mercury, Inflation continues to bite as food prices ease.
- 1 August 2019: Business Tech, This is how much money the poorest are living on each month in South Africa.
- 12 August 2019: Witness, More job losses loom in Pietermaritzburg.
- 23 August 2019: Lifestyle – Money, Well Done, You’re In South Africa’s Richest 10% – Here’s What You Need To Join The Top 1%.
- 29 August 2019: Citizen, Poor households now squeezed for survival.
- 29 August 2019: The World News, Poor households now squeezed for survival.
- 29 August 2019: George Herald, Poor households now squeezed for survival.
- 31 July 2019: Business Tech, 34,000 domestic workers lost their jobs in 2019 so far.
- 8 July 2019: Mercury, Rising prices bring consumers to their knees.
- 2 July 2019: SABC News online, Organisation calls for role of Reserve Bank to be scrutinised.
- 18 June 2019: Business Tech, 4 things killing your wallet in South Africa right now.
- 18 April 2019: The Citizen, Mboweni’s cake flour zero-VAT plan backfires on the poor.
- 17 April 2019: Business Day, Zero-rating VAT plan is completely inadequate, civil society group says.
- 6 April 2019: The Mercury, Durban residents petition to stop tariff increases.
- 4 April 2019: The Mercury, Eskom’s latest hike will ‘wipe out’ R80 grant increase.
- 1 April 2019: Health-E News, #FreeToBleed, Zero-rating and free pads to start in South Africa.
- 12 March 2019: The Mercury, How Eskom’s electricity hike will affect pensioners.
- 21 February 2019: The Witness, Downward Spiral Continues.
- 21 February 2019: Martizburg Sun, City grannies want December bonuses.
- 21 February 2019: The Mercury, #Budget2019: Motorists will be hit hardest from Budget Speech.
- 21 February 2019: The Mercury, #Budget2019: ‘We can’t survive on paltry R80 increase’.
- 7 February 2019: Mail & Guardian, Mr President, the old-age pension is an investment, not a burden.
- 6 February 2019: Times Live, Pensioners: Dear Mr President, we want a 13th cheque.
- 4 February 2019: Business Day, Minimum wage exemptions will leave workers worse off than before, NGO says.
- 10 December 2018: The Witness, Wage hike for domestics ‘still too low’.
- 18 November 2018: City Press, Pensioners demand 13th cheque.
- 12 November 2018: The Witness, The ACTUAL cost of living.
- 9 November 2018: Isolezwe Abadala bafuna ukuholelwa ibhonasi ngoDesemba.
- 2 November 2018: The Mercury, Could electricity price hikes lead to meter tampering?
- 1 November 2018: ENCA, Pensioners demand increase to deal with high cost of living.
- 1 November 2018: The Mercury, LOOK: Pensioners ask Parliament committee for grant increase.
- 1 November 2018: Cape Times, KZN Pensioners address Parliament over pay-outs.
- 31 October 2018: The Witness, Gogos call for better pension.
- 25 October 2018: Power FM MTBPS, Gogos want Christmas bonus from Tito Mboweni.
- 25 October 2018: The Star Late Edition, VAT Scrapped on Essentials: Mboweni announces zero-rating on sanitary towels, cake flour and bread flour from April.
- 24 October 2018: The Post, Too poor to put food on the table.
- 18 October 2018: The Mercury, Food prices on the rise.
- 17 October 2018: Maritzburg Sun, ‘Line between hunger and anger growing thinner’.
- 16 October 2018: Moneyweb, World Food Day, Outlook for food security has not improved.
- 16 October 2018: IOL News, Government urged to avert crisis as poverty levels ‘accelerate’.
- 4 October 2018: Daily News, How latest #FuelHike will hit the poor.
- 21 September 2018: DGMT, Why we need big business to make bold moves and get behind this simple super food.
- 13 September 2018: Daily Maverick, Zero-rating foods, petrol price hikes supercharge a debate day.
- 12 September 2018: Business Day, Lobby groups and NGOs try to convince Parliament to zero rate chicken.
- 12 September 2018: Fin24, VAT: Give us the chicken, organization appeal to Parliament.
- 12 September 2018: Fin24, 7 things treasury, parliament must consider as they expand the list of zero-vat items.
- 3 September 2018: Daily Maverick (By Health-e News), Thousands go hungry after mismanagement of food relief.
- 2 September 2018: City Press, Editorial: Food wars begin.
- 13 August 2018: Business Live, Food crisis is much bigger than simply tinkering with zero-rating VAT.
- 13 August 2018: Times Live, VAT zero-rating not the best way to help the poor‚ warn experts.
- 12 August 2018: Inter Press News Agency, How the Lack of Affordable Vegetables is Creating a Billion-Dollar Obesity Epidemic in South Africa.
- 15 July 2018: City Press, Brace for more pain: Price increases push poor to cut back on food purchases.
- 7 July 2018: IOL, ‘It’s Cyril to the rescue’.