Skip to content
PMBEJD in the print media – influencing public discourse and building power for structural change
- 31 May 2020: City Press, Business booms for loan sharks.
- 28 May 2020: Retail Brief Africa, Food prices increase for low-income families.
- 28 May 2020: Times Select, Struggling SA women do deals with the devil to put food on the table.
- 28 May 2020: The Witness, Food costs rocket in lockdown.
- 27 May 2020: Business Tech, Food prices in South Africa have spiked – particularly these items.
- 27 May 2020: The Mercury, Battle to feed families as food prices soar, consumption rises during lockdown.
- 27 May 2020: Daily News, 7.8% rise in food prices leaves sour taste.
- 27 May 2020: IOL Business Report, Price of food for low income families increases.
- 27 May 2020: Centurion Rekord, Covid-19: Low-income households turn to loan sharks to fight hunger.
- 26 May 2020: GroundUp, Low-income families are spending more on food since March, says report.
- 23 May 2020: Cape Argus, Covid-19 hits South Africa in the pockets.
- 23 May 2020: Business Tech, Here’s how the average price for a household food basket has increased in South Africa.
- 22 May 2020: Food for Mzansi, Hunger epidemic: The choice between safety and food.
- 14 May 2020: Daily Maverick, Hunger crisis: Getting food to the needy.
- 14 May 2020: New Frame, Social grants and food aid provide scant relief.
- 10 May 2020: Sunday Times, Government, NGOs at odds over distribution of food parcels.
- 10 May 2020: Sunday Times, ‘They can’t survive if I die’: Stalwart gogos fear for their families.
- 6 May 2020: Daily Maverick, KwaZulu–Natal hit by exorbitant price increases for basic food items.
- 6 May 2020: Times live, Fear and hunger: 7 million set to rush retailers for child grants.
- 5 May 2020: The Witness, Pietermaritzburg Pensioners Forum, Sassa snarl-up misery
- 29 April 2020: The Mercury, Concern as food prices spiral out of reach for many families.
- 29 April 2020: The Witness, Shock at increase in cost of food basket.
- 29 April 2020: IOL Business Report, Women from low-income families forced to wait in long queues outside supermarkets.
- 29 April 2020: Daily News, Women battle to support their families as food prices soar amid coronavirus pandemic.
- 28 April 2020: City Press, Food prices skyrocket. Justice group slams economic policy.
- 28 April 2020: Daily Dispatch, Anger stews as South African women go hungry to keep their families fed.
- 24 April 2020: Daily News, Stats-SA undertakes survey to see how Covid-19 has affected South African.
- 23 April 2020: City Press, Food security and lockdown: Is enough being done?
- 23 April 2020: Mail & Guardian, Pietermaritzburg Pensioners Forum, Hunger is as big a threat as Covid.
- 22 April 2020: New Frame, KwaZulu-Natal’s elderly go hungry.
- 19 April 2020: Sunday Times, Covid-19 lockdown: millions hungry as work dries up.
- 17 April 2020: Isolezwe, ‘Indlala izobulala abantu ngaphambi kweCorona.’
- 16 April 2020: The Mercury, Pensioners appeal for a better grant deal as lockdown worsens their plight.
- 15 April 2020: The Mail & Guardian, South Africa’s invisible majority: Women feeding hungry families
- 15 April 2020: The Mercury, Relief as Reserve Bank slashes the repo rate.
- 14 April 2020: City Press, Lockdown regulations financially devastating for small vendors.
- 4 April 2020: Saturday Star, Covid-19 hitting the poor the hardest.
- 2 April 2020: The Mercury, Supermarkets hiked food by 10% ahead of lockdown regulations.
- 1 April 2020: PLAAS, Food in the time of the coronavirus: Why we should be very, very afraid.
- 1 April 2020: Children’s Institute, University of Cape Town, Letter from the Children’s Institute to the President calling for a R500 increase in the monthly Child Support Grant.
- 1 April 2020: Children’s Institute, University of Cape Town, Covid-19 info brief: Social grant increases are an immediate and feasible route to protecting children and their families.
- 28 October 2019: WITS, South Africa still has a long way to go on the right to food.
- 25 October 2019: The Witness, Crisis Deepens – 56% living on less than R41 a day.
- 26 October 2019: The Citizen, Food costs stunt children, bind them to poverty – Economic Justice and Dignity.
- 24 October 2019: Post, Too poor to put food on the table.
- 22 October 2019: SAFCEI blog, FOOD INEQUALITY IN SOUTH AFRICA.
- 22 October 2019: News 24, Child support grant: ‘We sometimes go to bed on an empty stomach’.
- 16 October 2019: Health E-News, World Food Day: The struggle to survive on a child support grant.
- 14 October 2019: Citizen, SA’s social grants under threat.
- 14 October 2019: Vryheid Herald, A new Index shows a shocking number of South Africans live below the poverty line.
- 11 October 2019: The North Coast Courier, A new Index shows a shocking number of South Africans live below the poverty line.
- 8 October 2019: Business Tech, More than half of South Africans are living on less than R41 a day.
- 2 October 2019: Business Tech, Here’s how much more you’re paying for food in South Africa compared to a year ago.
- 2 October 2019: Food, Money, Shops & Retail, South Africa, One Year Later, Here’s How Much More You’re Paying For Groceries.
- 21 February 2019: The Witness, Downward Spiral Continues.
- 21 February 2019: Martizburg Sun, City grannies want December bonuses.
- 21 February 2019: The Mercury, #Budget2019: Motorists will be hit hardest from Budget Speech.
- 21 February 2019: The Mercury, #Budget2019: ‘We can’t survive on paltry R80 increase’.
- 7 February 2019: Mail & Guardian, Mr President, the old-age pension is an investment, not a burden.
- 6 February 2019: Times Live, Pensioners: Dear Mr President, we want a 13th cheque.
- 4 February 2019: Business Day, Minimum wage exemptions will leave workers worse off than before, NGO says.
- 31 October 2018: The Witness, Gogos call for better pension.
- 25 October 2018: Power FM MTBPS, Gogos want Christmas bonus from Tito Mboweni.
- 25 October 2018: The Star Late Edition, VAT Scrapped on Essentials: Mboweni announces zero-rating on sanitary towels, cake flour and bread flour from April.
- 24 October 2018: The Post, Too poor to put food on the table.
- 18 October 2018: The Mercury, Food prices on the rise.
- 17 October 2018: Maritzburg Sun, ‘Line between hunger and anger growing thinner’.
- 16 October 2018: Moneyweb, World Food Day, Outlook for food security has not improved.
- 16 October 2018: IOL News, Government urged to avert crisis as poverty levels ‘accelerate’.
- 4 October 2018: Daily News, How latest #FuelHike will hit the poor.
- 21 September 2018: DGMT, Why we need big business to make bold moves and get behind this simple super food.
- 13 September 2018: Daily Maverick, Zero-rating foods, petrol price hikes supercharge a debate day.
- 12 September 2018: Business Day, Lobby groups and NGOs try to convince Parliament to zero rate chicken.
- 12 September 2018: Fin24, VAT: Give us the chicken, organization appeal to Parliament.
- 12 September 2018: Fin24, 7 things treasury, parliament must consider as they expand the list of zero-vat items.
- 3 September 2018: Daily Maverick (By Health-e News), Thousands go hungry after mismanagement of food relief.
- 2 September 2018: City Press, Editorial: Food wars begin.