- 1 November 2023: SABC Izindaba, Asikhulume | iVAT – YouTube.
- 31 October 2023: SABC, Food prices for an average basket see a jump – YouTube.
- 15 October 2023: eNCA, Onion prices shot up by 63 percent over the past year – YouTube.
- 3 October 2023: eNCA, Discussion | Food prices continue to soar – YouTube.
- 30 September 2023: SABC News, ‘Increase in Value-Added Tax will affect poorest South Africans’.
- 22 September 2023: eNCA, Discussion | Consumers turn to credit in tough economic times – YouTube.
- 21 September 2023: Radio 702, ‘VAT increase will have the poor subsidising the rest of South Africa’.
- 14 September 2023: Radio SAFM, Mediated Conversation: Competition Commission releases latest essential food pricing monitoring report.
- 12 September 2023: eNCA, Cost of living too high for many to bear – YouTube.
- 12 September 2023: eNCA, Poultry prices | Chickens might not be coming home to roost – YouTube.
- 7 September 2023: eNCA, Food cost and safety | South Africans not happy with state of their plate – YouTube.
- 6 September 2023: SABC News, Small and medium logistics companies lament latest fuel price hikes – YouTube.
- 5 September 2023: SABC News, Concerns about rocketing household costs ahead of fuel price …
- 31 August 2023: 947, Basic food prices went up 7.3% in the past year.
- 31 August 2023: SABC news, Cabinet calls for investigation into soaring food prices.
- 31 August 2023: Radio 702, Average cost of a food basket is R5 124,34.
- 29 August 2023: Newzroom Afrika, National Poverty Lines for 2023.
- 24 August 2023: TDPel Media, Distressing Surge in Food Prices Hits South African Households.
- 24 August 2023: The South African, Are ONIONS becoming a luxury in SA? Onion prices spike by 67% in a year.
- 18 August 2023: ENCA, Discussion | Food price increases slowing down – YouTube.
- 13 August 2023: City Press, Patel’s move on chicken tariffs ruffles local producers’ feathers.
- 10 August 2023: News 24, Affordable superfoods to add to your shopping basket.
- 3 July 2023: Polity, Daily Podcast.
- 4 July 2023: YouTube, No relief for consumers as food prices soar.
- 5 July 2023: Polity, Daily Podcast.
- 5 July 2023: You Tube, No relief for consumers as food prices soar.
- 5 July 2023: ENCA, No relief for consumers as food prices soar.
- 27 July 2023: YouTube, Cost of Living | Discussion | Basic food prices on the rise.
- 30 July 2023: Polity, African food value chain is not transparent.
- 30 July 2023: Timeslive, Food prices continue to surge with eggs, fish and sugar costing 5% more.
- 30 July 2023: Dispatchlive, Food prices continue to surge with eggs, fish and sugar costing 5% more.
- 2 June 2023: East Coast Radio, Consumers in ‘need of protection’ against rocketing food prices.
- 1 June 2023: 947, Latest index shows household food basket costs more than R5000.
- 1 June 2023: SABC News, Rising cost of basic food: Mervyn Abrahams.
- 31 May 2023: Power Radio, Consumers hit hard as food costs 10 more than last.
- 27 May 2023: eNCA, Cost of living | Consumers buying less and less.
- 16 May 2023: SABC News, Agri SA warns of food security crisis if blackouts continue.
- 5 May 2023: Fokus, #Sudan #Food #WorkApp.
- 20 April 2023: East Coast Radio, Average consumer cannot afford food, warns economic group.
- 4 April 2023: ENCA, Discussion | Household food basket increases in March.
- 4 April 2023: ENCA, SA’s economic trouble | Food basket increases in March.
- 4 April 2023: East Coast Radio, Inflation impacting quality of life, mental health in SA.
- 3 April 2023: ENCA, Discussion | Household food basket increases in March.
- 3 April 2023: SABC News, Continued impact of July 2021 unrest.
- 31 March 2023: ENCA, SA’s economic trouble | Food basket increases in March.
- 31 March 2023: East Coast Radio, Inflation impacting quality of life, mental health in SA.
- 4 March 2023: ENCA, Household food basket increases by R10.91.
- 4 March 2023: ENCA, Food prices | Year-on-year basket increased by R572.64.
- 26 January 2023: SABC News, Food prices in South Africa continue to surge.
- 26 January 2023: ENCA, Basic food basket price increases.
- 25 January 2023: SABC TV, Cost of living crises for South Africans: Mervyn Abrahams.
- 16 January 2023: Cape Talk, Tariff hike: “This is the final straw that’s going to break the camel’s back”.
- 10 January 2023: ENCA, Discussion | Household food basket cost increase.
- 10 January 2023: SABC TV, Calls for special back-to-school grant – Mervyn Abrahams.
- 29 November 2022: Cape Talk, SAns can no longer afford to eat three times a day – Economic Justice Group.
- 29 November 2022: Radio 702, SAns can no longer afford to eat three times a day – Economic Justice Group.
- 29 November 2022: SABC TV News, Food prices expected to increase: Mervyn Abrahams.
- 2 November 2022: SABC News, Cost of basic food basket increases by almost 11% in a year.
- 30 July 2022: ENCA, Cost of living | Households struggle to keep up with rising food prices.
- 29 July 2022: ENCA, Cost of living | Average household food basket increasing.
- 22 July 2022: Africa News, Fears of unrest as food prices soar in South Africa.
- 29 June 2022: Newzroom Afrika, Steep food price inflation.
- 22 June 2022: Daily Maverick, How much food can you buy with the R350 grant? We go shopping.
- 22 June 2022: Newzroom Afrika, South Africans’ cost of living in the spotlight as Stats SA gets ready to release CPI data.
- 6 June 2022: Newzroom Afrika, Many families are beginning to buckle under the pressure of high electricity, food and fuel prices.
- 6 June 2022: Radio 786, Podcast.
- 1 June 2022: ENCA, Average food basket up by 11% year-on-year: research.
- 31 May 2022: ENCA, Discussion | Latest household affordability index.
- 31 May 2022: Newzroom Afrika, Consumers in South Africa continue to face price hikes.
- 31 May 2022: Cape Talk Radio, Fuel and food prices up, up and away as South Africans puzzle over making ends meet – Breakfast with Refilwe Moloto.
- 30 May 2022: SABC TV NEWS, April 2022 Household Affordability Index: Mervyn Abrahams.
- 29 May 2022: SABC News, Discussion on high cost of living with Prof Patrick Bond and Mervyn Abrahams.
- 26 May 2022: Rhodes University, Latest News – International Office launches food drive to raise awareness about nutrition in Africa.
- 18 May 2022: East Coast Radio, ‘Worst is still to come’ as cost of living keeps rising.
- 18 May 2022: Newzroom Afrika, Household affordability index shows that food prices went up in April and the worst is still to come.
- 18 May 2022: SABC Radio, PODCAST Estimates suggests it takes on average 5 days for middle-income consumers to spend up to 80% of their monthly salary.
- 14 May 2022: Food for Mzansi, Podcast: Brace for higher food prices.
- 9 May 2022: Newzroom Afrika, KZN children suffering from severe malnutrition, says PMB Economic Justice & Dignity Group.
- 7 May 2022: Food for Mzansi, Farmer’s Inside Track – Food Inflation Brief: Here’s what you need to know!
- 4 May 2022: Jacaranda FM, ‘Worst is yet to come’ as food prices continue to increase.
- 2 May 2022: ENCA, Food Prices | More price hikes in April.
- 2 May 2022: ENCA, Food prices set to increase – Economic Justice and Dignity Group.
- 29 April 2022: ENCA, Food cost | Basket increases month-on-month.
- 28 April 2022: SABC News, Average cost of SA household food basket increases to over R4000.
- 28 April 2022: Newzroom Afrika, Average cost of the Household Food Basket increased by R92.84 from March to April.
- 13 April 2022: Newzroom Afrika, Experts from various sectors engage in a roundtable discussion on the deadly floods in KwaZulu-Natal.
- 9 April 2022: ENCA, Cost of Living | Discussion | The price of cooking oil.
- 6 April 2022: Salaamedia, Rising Prices in South Africa (fuel, electricity, food – general).
- 5 April 2022: Radio 702, PMBEJD compiles report on the latest Household Affordability Index.
- 5 April 2022: SABC News, Fuel price increase | Mervyn Abrahams looks at the impact of further increase in fuel prices in SA.
- 1 April 2022: Power FM, Rising food prices.
- 31 March 2022: ENCA, SA paying over R400 more for food.
- 31 March 2022: ENCA, The cost of living.
- 28 March 2022: Newzroom Afrika, Competition Commission launches inquiry into SA’s fresh produce market.
- 15 March 2022: ENCA, Economic pressure on SA households to increase.
- 15 March 2022: ENCA, Calls for government intervention as cost-of-living rises.
- 14 March 2022: Newzroom Afrika, Millions of South Africans are battling to make ends meet.
- 14 March 2022: ENCA, Millions of South Africans are battling to make ends meet.
- 14 March 2022: Newzroom Afrika, The latest Household Affordability Index by the PMBEJD shows that the cost of the average household food basket increased by R354.52 in the past year.
- 3 March 2022: Newzroom Afrika, Rising cost of living in SA poses the rist of creating an unaccountability crisis.
- 2 March 2022: SABC News, Price Increases | Cost of living for ordinary households strained.
- 28 February 2022: ENCA, Panel Discussion | Cost of living continues to climb.
- 23 February 2022: SABC TV, Budget 2022 | Discussion on food inflation with Economic Justice and Dignity’s Mervyn Abrahams.
- 3 February 2022: Cape Talk, Fuel price increase spells disaster for South Africa’s food prices.
- 27 January 2022: ENCA, Rising food prices | Negative impact on quality of life.
- 10 January 2022: ENCA, Discussion | Cost of Living | KZN floods could raise food prices.
- 3 December 2021: ENCA, Household food basket increases, survey.
- 3 December 2021: East Coast Radio, What are food prices looking like in JHB, CPT, and DBN.
- 2 December 2021: ENCA, Consumer inflation. A costlier Christmas ahead?
- 1 December 2021: CHAI FM, What impact will the price of food and petrol have on consumers.
- 30 November 2021: Newzroom Afrika, Food basket price amid petrol price hike.
- 30 November 2021: Power FM, Low income households to bear pain of high basic food prices.
- 19 November 2021: Newzroom Afrika, How will the interest rate hike affect the cost of food baskets in the country?
- 18 November 2021: ENCA, Group calls for unchanged interest rate.
- 9 November 2021: Cape Talk, Festive season food prices set to spike as petrol price rises and rand weakens.
- 29 October 2021: SABC TV, Increased inflation severely affecting SA’s poorest households: Index.
- 28 October 2021: CHAI FM Radio, Increases in food prices?
- 27 October 2021: Moneyweb SAFM, Rising food prices put further strain on consumers – index.
- 19 October 2021: SABC TV News, Fuel price hike of catastrophic proportions expected in November.
- 7 October 2021: Newsroom Afrika TV, International Day for the Eradication of Poverty.
- 11 October 2021: Cape Talk, Why Western Cape food prices are most stable in South Africa.
- 30 September 2021: ENCA, Child support grant said to be insufficient.
- 30 September 2021: PLAAS, A Just Recovery: Rebuilding Food Systems after Covid-19 and Unrest in South
- 29 September 2021: SABC News, Worsening poverty and inequality due to increasing food prices.
- 2 September 2021: ENCA, Cost of living: Food up by 10% in a year
- 3 September 2021: CHAI FM Radio, Why is cost of living rising?
- 23 July 2021: ENCA, Calls for basic income grant.
- 21 July 2021: Kyk-NET, Interview with Mervyn Abrahams.
- 16 July 2021: The Forge, The current crisis in Kwazulu-Natal and Gauteng.
- 16 July 2021: Radio 702, Is South Africa’s food security under threat?
- 7 July 2021: SABC, Fuel price hike – how this will affect household spending?
- 14 July 2021: ENCA, Fears of a food crisis loom due to looting sprees.
- 6 July 2021: Radio Islam International, Mervyn Abrahams Speaks about the increase in food prices.
- 6 July 2021: ENCA, Government’s special relief grant.
- 2 July 2021: SAFM Radio, The Talking Point – Surviving the current state of the economy.
- 10 June 2021: ETV News, Poor paying more for food.
- 23 May 2021: ENCA, Food price hike: average household spends R4,200 on groceries per month.
- 2 May 2021: ENCA, Food costs continue to rise: Household Affordability Index.
- 30 April 2021: Power FM, Latest Household Affordability Index by the Pietermaritzburg Economic Justice & Dignity group.
- 21 April 2021: ENCA, Discussion: How much do people need to survive?
- 3 April 2021: ENCA, South Africans paying more for food: survey.
- 31 March 2021: Moneyweb SAFM Market Update, Food prices likely to continue to go up in 2021 – index.
- 8 February 2021: SABC Radio, Research group denounces exorbitant, unethical increase in food prices during pandemic.
- 7 February 2021: Lotus FM, #NewsbreakTalk discusses exorbitant increase in food prices and investigation by the #Competition Commission.
- 1 February 2021: POWER FM, Household Affordability Index shows worrisome spike in food prices.
- 28 January 2021: ENCA, Household Affordability Index rises again.
- 28 January 2021: Cape Talk, Bumper crops, yet food prices are spiralling. Why? Something is not right.
- 28 January 2021: KFM 94.5, Food basket up again.
- 6 January 2021: SABC News, ‘Poverty and inequality have escalated due to COVID-19.’
- 6 January 2021: ENCA, Food prices rises.
- 6 January 2021: ENCA, Calls for Competition Commission to probe food value chain.
- 5 January 2021: CHAI FM Radio, Food prices saw a massive jump in 2020.
- 15 December 2020: Salaam Media, Grocery prices in SA has spiked during lock-down.
- 26 November 2020: Power FM Radio, SA’s Food prices soar amid Covid 19 economic challenges.
- 26 November 2020: Lotus FM, New data released shows a shocking increase in the average cost of the basic household food basket.
- 25 November 2020: Radio 702, Food prices are rising as we approach the Festive Season.
- 18 October 2020: ENCA, COVID-19 worsening food insecurity: expert.
- 17 October 2020: Newzroom Africa, The International Day for the Eradication of Poverty.
- 14 October 2020: Salaam media, Household Affordability.
- 13 October 2020: Radio 702, There’s an increase in cost of basic foods; social relief grant must remain.
- 26 August 2020: SAFM SUNRISE, Food prices up again in August.
- 30 July 2020: SAFM SUNRISE, Household Affordability Index and a Discussion Paper on Unemployment and a Basic Income Grant.
- 24 June 2020: SAFM SUNRISE, Household affordability thresholds now threaten to be further breached.
- 24 June 2020: ENCA, Cost of household food basket rising.
- 19 June 2020: SABC TV News, COVID-19 Pandemic | Study shows an increase of 30% in price of basic foods.
- 17 June 2020: Power FM Radio, South Africans spending 30% more on basic food items since lockdown began.
- 17 June 2020: ENCA TV NEWS, Consumers may now be spending 30% more on food.
- 17 June 2020: SABC Morning Live, Covid-19 Pandemic, Families may now be spending 30% more for essential foods.
- 16 June 2020: Cape Talk, Starving SA paying more for food under lockdown.
- 10 June 2020: e.TV News, Poor paying more for food.
- 9 June 2020: Radio 702, Grocery costs impacting heavily on families living on low incomes.
- 27 May 2020: Afrika News AM Report, Is the Government doing enough to help low-earning South Africans during the COVID-19 pandemic?
- 16 May 2020: PLAAS Webinar, Democratising South Africa’s food system in and beyond the crisis.
- 13 May 2020: COPAC Webinar, Worsening Food Crisis, – Exploring possibilities for partnership between Government, the Solidarity Fund and progressive civil society.
- 28 April 2020: Cape Talk, Food Prices Rocket.
- 23 April 2020: Cape Talk, ‘There is no way R350 Covid-19 grant can turn into the potential of a livelihood.’
- 21 April 2020: Voice of the Cape Radio, The Burning Issue: Why South Africa is facing a food crisis?
- 16 April 2020: SAFM Radio, Looking at the SASSA grant system in South Africa and its function during the national lockdown.
- 1 April 2020: ENCA, Household Food Index increase.
- 1 April 2020: Radio 702, The COVID19 lockdown and its impact on food security.
- 18 February 2020: ENCA, “3.8% is way, way too low:” Economic Justice activist on minimum wage increase.
- 30 January 2020: SAFM, Food prices continue to rise.
- 30 January 2020: eNCA, Household food basket jumps in price.
- 13 December 2019: SAFM Radio, Households struggling as prices increase.
- 13 December 2019: eNCA, Household affordability index shows price increase in food.
- 25 November 2019: eNCA, The national minimum wage isn’t enough to even cover the three core goods and services.
- 23 October 2019: SAFM, Household Food costs rises.
- 23 October 2019: eNCA, A spike in the price of vegetables.
- 23 October 2019: SAFM radio, Household Food costs rises.
- 16 October 2019: SAFM, The Mediated Conversation on issues around hunger, healthy food and accessibility.
- 29 August 2019: SAFM, The Poor Spending Less on Nutritious Food.
- 21 August 2019: PowerFM, Malnutrition is stunting our children and future work force.
- 28 May 2019: ENCA, Low income households struggling to survive.
- 28 May 2019: ENCA News, https://youtu.be/RA3GdjXhUtM.
- 27 March 2019: SAFM, How cost of living has changed over ten years.
- 5 February 2019: Moneyweb, Minimum wage will leave workers worse off – justice group.
- 7 February 2019: Channel Africa, #SONA Pensioners call on Ramaphosa to increase their grant.
- 7 February 2019: Power FM, The Pietermaritzburg Pensioner’s Forum request for a 13th cheque and an increase pension to a living wage.
- 8 February 2019: eNCA, Gogos ask for 13th cheque.
- 8 February 2019: Morning Live (SABC News), Pietermaritzburg Pensioners Forum calls for a living wage grant.